- 3 dried chipotle chiles, roasted
- 1 oz white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ cup peanuts, peeled and chopped
- ½ pound ripe tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- ¹⁄₈ teaspoon freshly ground clove.
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground marjoram.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄₂ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
Place the chiles in a bowl and cover with water. Leave to soften for 15 minutes.
Remove stems and seeds. Grind the chiles in a molcajete with ½ cup of water, the onion, garlic and peanuts into a smooth paste. Add the tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients and grind until the mixture is coarsely puréed. Season to taste with salt.
Serve in a sauce boat at room temperature.