Morita & pasilla salsa
- 3 Pasilla chiles, destalked, deveined and deseeded
- 3 Morita chiles, destalked, deveined and deseeded
- 1 clove garlic roasted in its skin, peeled
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 9oz ripe tomatoes, roasted
- 9oz tomatoes, well roasted
- 3 ½ oz prickly pear, cut into strips
Heat 2 cups of water over medium heat in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and remove from heat. Put the chiles in the saucepan and soak for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.
In a molcajete or blender, crush the garlic and salt into a paste. Add the softened chiles and the roast tomatoes. Grind until roughly puréed and add the prickly pear strips. Mix, add salt to taste.
Serve at room temperature in a sauce boat.