- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 9 oz, nopales cactus, thinly sliced
- 15 oz, onion, cut in half-moon slices
- Cuaresmeño chili pepper, cut in thin strips, to taste
- 2 sprigs chopped epazote
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 5 oz. panela cheese (m ild, soft Mexican cheese) cut in cubes
- Salt to taste
- Corn tortillas
1. Heat oil and fry nopales until well-cooked.
2. Add onion and sauté. Add nopales, epazote, oregano and cheese
3. Season and lightly stir the mixture until all ingredients are fully blended.
4. Place 1 or 2 tablespoons of mixture in each tortilla; roll tortillas as tight as possible, then place a toothpick in each to hold in place while frying.
5. Heat sufficient oil and fry taquitos until lightly brown; drain excess oil and place on paper towels.
6. Serve on a bed of lettuce with a little mixture and green salsa on top.